VTT to SRT
Convert VTT Subtitle Files to SRT Files with a Free Online Tool No signup or download necessary, simply use the converter online.
What is a VTT file?
About Web Video Text Tracks Format (WebVTT).
The W3C standard for displaying timed text tracks (subtitles or captions) in web browsers is known as WebVTT. It is primarily used within the <video> tag and is supported by all major browsers through the <track> HTML tag.
An essential feature of WebVTT is its styling capabilities. Text can be styled using formatting tags like <b>, <i>, and <u>, or by applying CSS identifiers within the WebVTT file. Additionally, WebVTT supports karaoke-like effects and cue positioning.
How To Open a VTT File?
The WebVTT format is a text-based format that was originally derived from the SubRip (.srt) format. It was initially known as WebSRT but later changed to WebVTT.
Since VTT files are plain text files, you can easily view, edit, and open them with any text editor such as Notepad or TextEdit.
It is important to note that WebVTT files must be encoded using UTF-8. Therefore, if you make any edits, ensure that your text editor is configured to use UTF-8 encoding.
About Converting .vtt to .srt
The WebVTT format offers a broader specification, features, and capabilities compared to SubRip. Converting .vtt to .srt may result in the loss of certain functionality or styling as .srt is a more basic format that lacks support for advanced display features.
How To Manually Convert .vtt to .srt?
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to convert .vtt to .srt format:
1. Open your .vtt subtitle file using your preferred text editor.
2. Remove all text at the top of the file. This includes any lines starting with "WebVTT" and any comments starting with "NOTE". Delete everything from the first "WebVTT" line until the first timecode line (which looks like this: 00:05.000 --> 00:09.000).
3. Check if your .vtt file already has sequence numbers. If it does, there will be a number on a separate line before each timecode line. If not, add a number (starting with 1) on a separate line before each timecode line.
4. Change the timecode format from dot to comma. In .vtt files, the timecode format is like this: 00:02:20.000 --> 00:02:25.000. In .srt files, it should be like this: 00:02:20,000 --> 00:02:25,000. Find and replace all dots with commas in your .vtt file.
5. Save the file with a .srt extension. You can usually do this by selecting "File" and then "Save As..." in your text editor.
Please note that these steps only convert the file format and do not change any formatting or styling.
CEO / Co-Founder
I am Azahar Ahmed, a youthful Engineer, Entrepreneur, Digital Marketer, and Motivational speaker native to Nagaon, Assam, India. Originating from a middle-class background, I am the sole son. My accomplishments are indebted to my father, a Teacher, and my mother, formerly a Teacher but now devoted to our well-being. My mother has been my closest ally, and unitedly, my parents have fostered and realized all my aspirations, epitomizing the perfect parents.